"Potentially Negative Closed" on my credit report. How to get rid of it?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by uday029, Apr 2, 2012.

1. uday029

uday029 New Member

My credit report says there is a â??potential negative- closed accountâ? â?? what does this mean? Account type is - Collection Dept/Agency/Attorney. It says balance of $78.00. Since it says closed, does it still effect my credit score? I signed up with one of those credit score tracking websites and it shows that my credit score was lowered by 87 points. I don't remember anything about that account. All my other credit cards and car loan are in good standing.

Can I contact them and pay them off to get it off my credit report? If I do not recognize this transaction, how can I dispute it?

Any information on this matter is highly appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. JoshuaHeckathorn

JoshuaHeckathorn Administrator

It's still hurting your credit scores, even though the account is closed. If you think the account is a mistake, dispute it through the CRAs before doing anything else.

3. uday029

uday029 New Member

Thank you Joshua. Should I order credit reports for all three credit agencies before I start the dispute process? This negative account is shown in Experian report.

4. JoshuaHeckathorn

JoshuaHeckathorn Administrator

Yes, I think it's worth checking your other reports as well to see if it's showing up.

5. jam237

jam237 Well-Known Member

It's always good to have the actual credit reports, as the online and tri-reports could alter the data presented slightly (the online report from the CRA itself should be similar enough)...